What Should You Do With Your Pets During the Holidays?
After a recent study, Colorado has been named the #1 most dog-friendly state in 2016. With a growing number of dog parks along with dog-friendly shops, restaurants, hotels, and even our airport, it is no surprise that the Denver-Metro area is high on the list.
The holidays can be a stressful time for everyone – especially pet owners. Whether you’re traveling out of town or hosting friends and family, you should consider boarding your pet during the holiday season. Between errands, entertaining, and traveling, it can be hard to find time to take care of your animal companions. Sending your pet to an animal resort is an easy way to take some stress out of the holidays – for you and for your pets. Regardless of whether you prefer a simple kennel or a high-end doggy resort, consider these factors when choosing a kennel:
- Cleanliness – The facility should look and smell clean, and there should be plenty of air circulation.
- Climate control – This is very important when boarding your dog during the holidays. Make sure your animals will be kept warm.
- Bedding – Check for appropriate bedding and make sure your pet doesn’t have to sleep on a hard floor. Many pet resorts will also allow you to bring your pet’s bed from home.
- Feeding – Ask about the feeding schedule and whether it’s acceptable to supply your dog’s special food if desired.
- Exercise room – Check out the exercise area/dog runs, and ask about the exercise schedule.
- Access to emergency care – A benefit to leaving your pet at your vet’s boarding kennel is that you can be sure he will receive adequate care while you’re away.
If you’re interested in boarding your pet during the holidays, we’ve found some of the best Denver dog boarding options for you:
- U Lucky Dog 4040 Fox Street, Denver CO 80216 720-328-8179 Facebook / Twitter U Lucky Dog was named 5280’s Top of the Town, Editor’s Choice – Best Doggie Daycare. They have a number of boarding packages, webcams to watch your dog play, and a wide variety of additional services – one-on-one walks, obedience training, and doggie spa treatments!
- City Bark Multiple Locations 303-573-9400 Facebook City Bark is an upscale pet center that offers doggie daycare, overnight boarding for dogs and cats, outdoor swimming pools and many other services to pets and pet owners. We also have grooming and training services on-site at each of their locations.
- Overland Animal Hospital & Pet Resort 2658 West Florida Avenue, Denver, CO 80219 303-547-1670 Facebook / Twitter The Overland Animal Hospital & Pet Resort works under the close supervision of the veterinary staff to ensure that your dogs or cats have everything they need for a healthy and happy stay. They also offer video monitoring so you can watch your pets from anywhere!
- Trips with Pets Trips with Pets is a great resource for anyone traveling with a pet or looking for the best boarding option! You can search for local pet boarding just like you would for a hotel by inputting your location and the dates you will be away. And, as a bonus, they have outlined the pet policies for major hotels and airlines! www.tripswithpets.com
- Bonus: Rover.com Rover is a service that connects pet owners with sitters, walkers, and boarders. You can use Rover to book a sitter to stay at your home with your pets while you’re away, or schedule drop-in visits to feed and take care of your pets. Each sitter on Rover is verified and user reviews keep the whole process safe and transparent.While the holidays are certainly stressful, taking good care of your pets doesn’t have to be. Give your pet a vacation while you take care of your traveling and holiday parties, and you’ll return to a happy, healthy companion.