Earth Day 2017!
Did you know that April 22nd was Earth Day? Earth day was first celebrated in 1970 and it marks the birth of the modern environmental movement. Here at Canopy Airport Parking, we take Earth Day seriously and with the pride of knowing that we do everything we can to help keep Earth clean!
In a past blog we defined what a Carbon footprint is, today we are going to go over what an ecological footprint is.
So what is an ecological footprint?
It is “the impact of a person or community on the environment, expressed as the amount of land required to sustain their use of natural resources.” There are six categories that are taken into account when calculating an ecological footprint; cropland, grazing land, fishing grounds, built-up land, forest area, and carbon demand on land.’
The Ecological Footprint is the only metric that measures how much nature we have and how much nature we use. The Footprint helps:
- Countries: Improve sustainability
- Local Leaders: Optimize public project investments
- Individuals: Understand their impact on the planet
As you can see it can be pretty complicated. In simple terms however, there are small steps you can take to help lower your impact on the planet!
- Shop Local: Buying from local sources means lower CO2 emissions
- Shop In-season: Buying foods in season means that they aren’t imported from a foreign country. This helps s with CO2 emissions
- Skip Plastic: Skipping all plastic (including plastic water bottles) will make all the difference. Plastic is non biodegradable so the waist that it is creating is detrimental to the Earth.
- Recycle: If you do use plastic recycle as much as you can! This is a great way that we can work on sustainability. Make sure to throw in your paper, glass, and cans as well!
- Walk: Driving less will help lower CO2 emissions and keep our air clean. Try walking short distances if possible, it’s good for you and your car!
- Support “Green” Business: Spend your time and money with companies and people who love our planet as much as you do!
At Canopy Airport Parking, we live “Green”! Our sophisticated, efficient, and green parking facility is entirely eco friendly and has a 0 carbon footprint. From the beginning, being green and building green have been a priority to us. Our facility is made of recycled goods, our shuttles are fueled by compressed natural gas, and biodiesel, we light our facility with LED lights, and we even offer a free “Juice Bar” for our electric car customers!
Get out, travel, and enjoy our world! And next time you go on an adventure, leave your car at Canopy Airport Parking at DIA, one of the greenest parking facilities in the world.